Thursday, June 3, 2010

Jackpot!!

I went through my grandmother's things today. She had a lot of shit. Boxes upon boxes of vinyl records, cassette tapes, papers and very VERY gaudy clothing (for which I took my fair share). Most importantly, I found my grandmother's manuscript for her book!!!
When grams was loosing her memory, she kept blaming her friends and family for moving or taking her things. She blamed her best friend for taking her manuscript! Somehow, we didn't know it was in her boxes. It's at least 60 pages of her writing (typed by typewriter and written by hand). The moment I saw it I screamed. As I read it, I felt like she was there with me. I no longer felt alone in doing this. I feel like I have my grandma back (even if it's just a small bit). She is alive in these pages. I have a very long road ahead of me, but at least I can start copying her words into my computer.
Tomorrow I leave for NY state to attend the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame induction ceremony. After that we head to Connecticut to see my Grams' childhood best friend and see the old farm. I have my video camera and my writing pad!

No comments:

Post a Comment